"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wine Wednesday - Martini and Rossi Asti

So tomorrow is New Year's Eve, which means that champagne will be the drink of choice. If you haven't picked any up yet, Martini and Rossi Asti is a great choice, though actually a sparkling wine, that can be found at any grocery store. I know it's a pretty commercialized brand, but I've always really liked it (my college roommate, Jennifer, always said it was her favorite!). Many grocery stores will have it on sale this week for $10-12.

Martini and Rossi was founded in Northern Italy by two men (Martini and Rossi) in 1863. The Asti is said to be fruity and floral - and I would say it's fairly sweet. Their website has recipes for several cocktails, including a Kir Royal. I first had a Kir Royal when I was in Provence several years ago - they are often served at cafes. A Kir Royal is made from champagne and creme de cassis, which is black currant liquor. The website's recipe calls for 1 part creme de cassis topped with 4 parts Asti - Yum! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...