"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard

Monday, May 17, 2010

Strawberry Cake

I've been meaning to write this post for a long time and realized yesterday that I never had. It comes from one of my favorite cookbooks - A Cookbook for My Southern Daughter by Patsy Smith. As I've said before, I've had this cookbook since Junior High School and could not even say how many of these wonderful recipes I have used! This is one of the first cakes that I started making. It is so easy! It's not difficult since it uses a cake mix but still tastes made-from-scratch since you add in fresh ingredients.

Grandmother's Strawberry Cake
Ingredients:
1 pkg. white cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 pkg. frozen strawberries
1 small pkg. strawberry jello
1 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
Combine all ingredients; beat. Cook in 9" layers. (I've also made a sheet cake before and it turns out so well!)

Icing
Blend:
1/2 pkg. frozen strawberries
1 stick butter, melted
1 box powdered sugar
(I have actually never made this icing, but I'm sure it's wonderful. I always use this cream cheese icing.)

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures you are adding to the recipes... helps me know what I am trying to make! I think the hubs would like this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...