"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Birmingham Literacy Council Garden Party

In May, my aunt invited me to a wonderful afternoon garden party hosted by the Literacy Council at a beautiful home on Red Mountain that overlooked the city.  Author Susan Haltom was there to talk about her book, One Writer's Garden: Eudora Welty's Home Place.  She discussed the research and writing process as everyone helped themselves to delicious and beautiful hors d'oeuvres on the garden patio.  The book has pictures and stories of Welty's family and family garden in Jackson, Mississippi from the 1920s through Welty's death in 2001 but also goes on to detail the restoration of the garden that has occurred in the two decades.
  

The Welty House today (EudoraWelty.org)

Eudora Welty and her mother in their garden (gardenandgun.com)

We had a wonderful time at the garden party!  Garden parties are such a wonderful way to entertain outdoors, and since this one was a fundraiser for such a good cause it was the perfect setting for this book talk.  Of course, I forgot my camera at home, but I took a few good shots with my phone.  Thanks so much to my aunt for this wonderful opportunity!


The lovely food table


The guest house


A view of the gardens


Gardens and guest house


The host uses this lawn that overlooks the city to host large outdoor dinners - I'm sure they're gorgeous!


My mother and aunts in front of the pergola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...